Part 2 - Alkalised Water is it just Hype?
There’s no question — we absolutely cannot live without water. But do we really need to drink alkalized water for our survival? Perhaps not for our ultimate survival, but the science is starting to realise that it maybe be very useful for a healthy & longer life. Advocates of alkaline water believe it can help our bodies stay disease-free, and generally improve all aspects of our health.
What is Alkalised Water?
Alkaline water is less acidic than regular water, this means that it is rich in compounds, including calcium, silica, potassium, magnesium, and bicarbonate. Proponents of alkaline water believe that it can perhaps use the word offset rather than neutralise neutralize the acid in your bloodstream, therefore, helping your body metabolize nutrients more effectively, leading to better health and performance. The idea of drinking alkalised water helps to neutralise the effects of acidosis and helps your body to absorb much-needed nutrients more quickly.
Types of Alkalised Water
While everyone is raving about the effects of alkalised water and alkalised water’s popularity has increased over the years, what most people are not aware of is that there are different ways to Alkalise water, and especially important is the fact that not all alkalised water produces the desired effect.
Artificially alkalinised water has undergone a process called ionization or electrolysis to “trick” the water into thinking it has a certain pH, water ionizers split apart water molecules separating the hydrogen and oxygen molecules with electricity to create alkaline water. The water is run over platinum and titanium plates which cause the exchange of ions that make water more alkaline in its pH.
Ionised water does not contain the extra minerals such as magnesium and calcium and some studies show regular consumption of Ionised water for 30days or more, can lead to possible side effects.
Naturally Alkalinised water has a chemical makeup that is vastly different from artificially alkaline water. In nature, water flows down mountain streams and picks up alkaline minerals from the porous rock through which it runs, affecting its pH and making it naturally alkaline. Nothing more is done to the water to make it "alkaline".
A water filtration process known as Reverse Osmosis is quite popular in many countries around the world. Reverse Osmosis systems remove all negative pathogens and heavy metals from the water as well as all of the good minerals to create what is called PURE WATER.
The downside of the Reverse Osmosis systems is that the membrane filter which removes all of the pathogens & heavy metals are non-selective in what they remove meaning all of the good minerals are removed at the same time as the bad pathogens. Drinking PURE WATER completely free of minerals is very dangerous for the human body & should be avoided at all times. If you do drink PURE WATER free of minerals this water when consumed will search for minerals within the organs in your body & rob them from many of your vital organs.
In order to counteract this now mineral deficient “PURE WATER,” it is essential to ADD BACK minerals to the water. The benefit of this concept is that the pathogens have been removed by the Reverse Osmosis system & with technology inbuilt into the filters using natural minerals derived from nature we can input the desired minerals back into the water & therefore our bodies that create higher natural pH or alkalized system.
- Promotes better hydration: Alkaline water has smaller molecular content making it easier for the body to The body can be hydrated more effectively by drinking alkaline water instead of everyday tap water.
- Alkaline Water is an antioxidant: Antioxidants help protect our bodies from free radicals that can cause various health problems, by drinking alkaline water you can help protect your body from diseases that can cause serious health issues.
- Effectively balances the pH levels of the body: Alkaline water helps by neutralizing the acid levels in the body. Although it works best as a preventive measure, those who already have an illness or disease can still drink alkaline water to speed up or at the very least assist the recovery process
- Detox the Body: A primary benefit of drinking alkaline water is its ability to wash away toxins that cause disease and illness. Drinking plenty of water is vital to good health
- Boost the immune system: Keeping our bodies in a more alkaline state will boost the immune system. This is a natural effect of neutralizing the free radicals and helping to cleanse the body of toxins.
- Lose Weight: Due to today's poor diets that consist of a lot of junk food, our bodies create more fat cells to neutralise the acid. This inevitably results in unwanted weight gain. Alkalised water neutralises the acids in the body removing the need for our bodies to create the extra fat cells. Alkalised water helps in weight loss because fat storage is reduced.
Drinking naturally alkaline water is generally considered safe since it contains natural minerals. However, you should use caution with artificial alkaline water, which likely contains fewer minerals necessary for good health than its high pH would have you believe.
Some examples of negative side effects include the lowering of natural stomach acidity, which helps kill bacteria and expel other undesirable pathogens from entering your bloodstream.
Additionally, an overall excess of alkalinity in the body may cause gastrointestinal issues and skin irritations. Too much alkalinity may also agitate the body’s normal pH, leading to metabolic alkalosis, a condition that may produce the following symptoms:
- hand tremors
- muscle twitching
- tingling in the extremities or face
The Bottom Line
The benefits of naturally alkaline water are numerous, considering all the ways naturally alkaline water can improve your health, why not add in an extra layer of insurance by drinking alkaline water?